So we’ve discussed the benefits of building a custom home, but maybe you don’t want to find a new home or build a custom home. You’re happy right where you are – but you want to add some more value to your home. There are many ways to get the most out of your current home by doing a remodel. Below, we’ve outlined the top six things to help you make up your mind on whether or not a remodel is for you:
- You Want New Amenities: According to the National Home Builders Association, adding in newer amenities is the number one reason to consider a remodel. With the change in technology, most home remodels now feature the latest gadgets and tech advances to make the most out of your existing home. Installing USB ports on your outlets, drawer-style microwaves, touch-less kitchen sinks are just a few of the ways to start upgrading your home with more user-friendly technologies.
- You Want to Go Green: Going green isn’t as hard as it used to be, especially with advances in technology. There are many ways to bring an older house into the energy-efficient realm – and doing a home remodel is the perfect time to make sure that you’re where you want to be. You can increase energy efficiency by replacing older, single-pane windows with double-pane. You can update your heating and cooling systems to remotely monitor the temperature inside your house. You can also upgrade your appliances to the Energy Star rated dishwashers or refrigerators. Keeping in communication with your builder can also make sure that you are recycling used materials appropriately.
- You Want to Stay in Your Neighborhood: You chose to live in this neighborhood for your family. The schools are great, your kids don’t want to leave their friends, and you’re invested in staying. Remodeling your home can keep you in the place you like best. Being able to put in the amenities you want and upgrade your current home can enable you to stay in the neighborhood that you love.
- Your Family is Expanding: Maybe you’re welcoming a tiny addition to your home or maybe you’re looking to accommodate houseguests more frequently. More family members mean that you need more space – plain and simple. Undergoing a remodel to utilize the most out of your space and your home means that you can accommodate the growth of your family. Turning your garage into a second bedroom, adding more space above your stairs, or adding in an extra room in your attic can change the layout of your house immensely.
- Your Home Needs Repairs: Older houses tend to need more repairs and updates – especially if it’s been a while since they’ve been up-to-code. If you’ve purchased an older home, undergoing a remodel can help to bring your home into a newer standard. If you’re not interested in doing a complete remodel on your home just rooms, consider choosing a few of the most important updates for your old home to do while your remodel takes place. Updating the electricity, updating the lighting, the windows, or the roof while you’re remodeling your bathroom or your kitchen, can save you a larger headache down the road.
- You Want to Increase Value: Increasing the value on your home by way of remodeling is the best return for your home. If you don’t have the budget for doing a larger remodel, consider tackling the project one room at a time. According to HGTV, the number one remodel that has the most value is updating your bathroom, then the landscaping, and then the kitchen. Tackling a remodel in sections can save you money while adding, slowly, to your overall increased home value.
- You Want to Avoid Buying a New House: You’ve already gone through the hassle of buying and selling a home. It can be a headache. Your current home was great when you just moved in – the excitement and the joy of having a house that you could call yours beat the fact that the home was missing some custom features. Remodeling is one of the easier ways to bring that personalization to your home without the headache of buying and selling all over again.
A home remodel can be the best way to bring in special touches to your home, save you some money and help you make the most out of your house. Updating your amenities and certain features can bring the 21st century into older homes with ease when you remodel. Buena Vista Builders is highly skilled and efficient at home remodels because we know that your house is your home. Check out some of our resources to find out some more information on saving money while you remodel your home, ideas about how to incorporate newer technology into your home, or updating awkward spaces.