When we think of buying a home, we think of the financial ease being the main reason we purchase an existing home. There are many benefits to purchase an existing home and those reasons can vary from person to person. In Durango, especially, we have found that the market for pre-existing homes has definitely become more limited. Building a custom home on property is becoming more and more frequent. There are so many great benefits to building a new home that is built to your custom specifications. Read below to find out our top 5 reasons to build a custom home:
- Energy efficiency: Custom built homes can allow for updated technologies for energy efficiency. Better windows, better insulation options, passive solar and more, as mentioned in our previous post, all contribute to the long-term benefits of having a custom built home. Energy efficiency is a standard in most custom built home but you can take your new home construction even further by incorporating energy-saving technologies like solar panels, too.
- Custom Appliances: Being able to add the appliances and features in the house that you want can help you save more money in the long run. Picking out the appliances and customizing them to fit your needs for your family is a huge benefit to building a new custom home. Buying a previously existing home may cost you more money when you factor in that walls, wiring, drains, or pipes may need to change to accommodate your updated and energy efficient appliances.
- Privacy: Building your custom home to your specifications can be built to maximize the amount of privacy that you need. Your custom home builder and architect can help you figure out which orientation is the most beneficial for achieving the results you want for the privacy that you need. They can also help you come up with creative ways to maximize natural light and views while still maintaining a private layout for your home. Purchasing an existing home may not yield as much privacy as you’d expect.
- Saving money: When you consider that purchasing an existing home is usually several years old, it may cost you more money when you’re constantly needing to fix, update or upgrade certain items and parts of your home. According to New Home Source, “in September 2014, the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) reported that the median price of a new home was $259,000, while the median price of an existing home was $210,300. The key to comparing new versus older home prices, however, is to make sure you are comparing apples to apples, cautions Ed Hudson, director of Marketing Research for the Home Innovation Research Labs, a subsidiary of NAHB. “Comparing median prices is fine, but are the homes the same size? Do they have the same features? Newer homes typically are more spacious and have more modern features.”
- Sentimental Value: The ability to build the home of your dreams from the dirt up is the major benefit of new custom home construction. From everything down to the wiring to the materials used in the construction of the home have all been incorporated for a reason – the emotional value of having a custom built home is insurmountable. Creating your custom home to fit your family, your needs, your lifestyle are all really great reasons to invest in the property for your custom home.
When you consider that your dream home may be a home you want to live in for several years (if not decades), making sure that everything is perfect and really up to your personal standards taking the time to build your custom home becomes priceless. Sure, building a custom home may take a little longer than purchasing a pre-existing home, but when you consider the long-term benefits that can go into new custom home construction, you won’t be disappointed. Buena Vista Builders is committed to making sure that your dreams come true when it comes to new custom home construction. As a company, we pride ourselves in making sure that every step of the way is easy as possible for you. We use a program called BuilderTrend wherein you can check in to see the progress of your custom project.